Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 7
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (2-3 halves)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups small shell pasta, uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cut chicken breast into bite sized pieces. Sauté pieces in oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet) until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon, soup, pepper and garlic to skillet. Stir until smooth. Add pasta and broccoli.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until pasta is tender, 15-20 minutes. Add a small amount of water near end of cooking if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add cheese during last two minutes of cooking.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try whole grain pasta for more fiber.
- Try pasta in a different shape, such as spiral or elbow.
- Add other vegetables such as peas, grated carrots or chopped bell peppers.
- In place of chicken, use 1 1/2 cups of white beans (a 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed), another meat, or canned tuna or salmon.
- Best served immediately. Reheated broccoli changes color and might have a less pleasant taste.