A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
A crowd-pleaser made from simple ingredients in a single pot.
- 6 chicken pieces (legs and breasts), skinned
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 oz Spanish olives
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a large pot, brown chicken pieces in oil.
- Add water, tomatoes, green and red peppers, celery, carrot, corn, onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from the pot and place in the refrigerator. Add rice, peas, and olives to the pot. Cover pot and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes, until rice is cooked.
- Add chicken and raisins, and cook for another 8 minutes. Serve.