Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (try cheddar, pepper jack, or Mexican blend)
- 4 (9-inch) flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a small bowl, combine the beans, green onions, lemon juice, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Rub the chicken breasts with the chili powder, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cook the chicken in a skillet over medium-high heat (350 °F in an electric skillet) for 5 to 7 minutes. Turn it over and cook until the internal temperature of the thickest part reaches 165 °F using a food thermometer, about 5 to 7 minutes longer.
- Let chicken cool; slice into strips or chunks.
- Divide cheese evenly between tortillas. Top the cheese with equal amounts of chicken and black bean salsa mixture.
- Roll up the burritos and wrap each one in foil.
- Bake burritos until the cheese melts, about 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Freeze extra lemon juice to use later.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.