Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup nonfat or 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 cups halved, pitted sweet cherries, fresh or frozen, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- In a medium bowl or blender, beat the eggs, milk and vanilla together until well blended.
- Mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon together. Add to the liquid ingredients and mix until there are no lumps.
- Put margarine or butter in a 10- or 11-inch oven proof skillet or a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish. Place the skillet or dish in the hot oven until the margarine or butter is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven. Quickly spread the cherries across the bottom of the hot skillet or dish.
- Pour the batter over the cherries and sprinkle with almond slices, if using.
- Return to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the edges are browned and the puffs in the middle are golden. Cool slightly before cutting into 4 pieces. The center puffs will flatten during cooling.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try using other fruit, such as peaches, pears or blueberries.
- Try with plain or vanilla yogurt.