Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Number of Servings: 2
- 1 small banana
- 1/2 cup oat, corn, or granola cereal
- 1/2 cup low-fat vanilla or strawberry yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon honey, optional (skip for children under the age of one)
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple tidbits or chunks (drained)
- Peel and split banana lengthwise. Place half in two separate cereal bowls.
- Over each banana, spoon yogurt, sprinkle cereal and drizzle honey, if desired.
- Top with pineapple and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try other flavors of low fat yogurt or even cottage cheese.
- Try other fresh, frozen, or canned fruits.
- Some foods can cause choking in young children. Be sure that fruit pieces are very small and soft for toddlers. Avoid grapes, chunks of pineapple or melon. Instead, use softer canned fruit, such as fruit cocktail.
- Honey is not recommended for children under 1 year old.
- Add nuts or seeds for more protein.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.