Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons seasoning (try a mixture-chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, pepper)
- 2 cups cooked meat (chopped or shredded), beans or tofu
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Wash bell peppers, remove seeds and cut into bite-sized pieces. Arrange pieces close together in a single layer on a large foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine salsa, seasonings and meat, beans or tofu. Spoon the mixture evenly over pepper pieces then top with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until peppers are heated through and cheese is melted. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For added flavor, top with chopped cilantro, green onions or black olives!
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.