Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes
Total time: 21 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Use the ripest tomatoes to create a fresh pasta sauce for this dish
- 8 oz whole-wheat thin spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, rinsed, cored, and cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, rinsed, dried, and cut into 1/8-inch wide slivers
- 3 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese (chunk package), cubed
- 8 pitted black olives, cut into long slivers
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add spaghetti, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time, about 6 minutes. (Whole-wheat pasta tends to fall apart if overcooked.)
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and set aside. Drain spaghetti.
- Add the spaghetti back into the pasta pot. Toss with olive oil and just enough reserved water to coat well.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and olives. Toss gently until well mixed.
- Divide pasta evenly among four dinner plates (about 2 and 1/4 cups each). Serve immediately.
Tip: Try serving with a fresh green salad drizzled with light vinaigrette dressing.