Pests live where they are not wanted or cause harm to crops, people, or animals. Pesticides can help get rid of them. Pesticides are not just insect killers. They also include chemicals to control weeds, rodents, mildew, germs, and more. Many household products contain pesticides.
Pesticides can protect your health by killing germs, animals, or plants that could hurt you. However, they can also be harmful to people or pets. You might want to try non-chemical methods first. If you do need a pesticide, use it correctly. Be especially careful around children and pets. Proper disposal of pesticides is also important - it can help protect the environment.
Biologically-based pesticides are becoming more popular. They often are safer than traditional pesticides.
Environmental Protection Agency
- Citizen's Guide to Pest Control and Pesticide Safety (Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pesticide Programs) - PDF
- Pesticides (American College of Medical Toxicology)
- Pesticides (National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences)
- Pesticides (Environmental Health Student Portal) (National Library of Medicine)
- What Is a Pesticide? (Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pesticide Programs)
Prevention and Risk Factors
- Read the Label First! Protect Your Household (Environmental Protection Agency) - PDF
Treatments and Therapies
- In Case of Pesticide Emergency (Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pesticide Programs)
- Organic Pesticide Ingredients (National Pesticide Information Center)
- Safe Disposal of Pesticides (Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances) - In English and Spanish
- Signal Words (National Pesticide Information Center) - PDF
- Tox Town (National Library of Medicine)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Fetal outcomes after intentional ingestion of paraquat: A case report.
- Article: Conceptual Frameworks in Scientific Inquiry and the Centers for Disease Control...
- Article: Synthetic cannabinoid-associated coagulopathy secondary to long-acting anticoagulant rodenticides: Observational case series...
- Pesticides -- see more articles