See, Play and Learn
- No links available
Your paranasal sinuses are small hollow spaces around the nose. They are lined with cells that make mucus, which keeps your nose from drying out. The nasal cavity is the passageway just behind your nose. Air passes through it on the way to your throat as you breathe.
Cancer of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses is rare. You are at greater risk if you are
- Male and over 40 years old
- Exposed to certain workplace chemicals
- Infected with HPV
- A smoker
There may be no symptoms at first, and later symptoms can be like those of infections. Doctors diagnose nasal cancer with imaging tests, lighted tube-like instruments that look inside the nose, and biopsies. Treatment options include surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
- General Information about Paranasal Sinus and Nasal Cavity Cancer (National Cancer Institute)
- Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancer (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
Diagnosis and Tests
- How Are Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancers Staged? (American Cancer Society)
- Panoramic Dental X-Ray (American College of Radiology, Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
Prevention and Risk Factors
- What Are the Risk Factors for Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancers? (American Cancer Society)
Treatments and Therapies
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (American Rhinologic Society)
- What Happens After Treatment For Nasal Cavity or Paranasal Sinus Cancer? (American Cancer Society)
- Oral Complications of Chemotherapy and Head/Neck Radiation (PDQ) (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Olfactory Neuroblastoma (Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center)
Statistics and Research
- What Are the Key Statistics about Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancers? (American Cancer Society)
- What's New in Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancer Research and Treatment? (American Cancer Society)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: What does the 4th edition of the World Health Organization...
- Article: Multiple metastases of clear-cell renal cell carcinoma to different region...
- Article: Salvage preoperative embolization of an infratemporal solitary fibrous tumor: A...
- Nasal Cancer -- see more articles
- Paranasal sinus cancer -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- American Cancer Society
- American Rhinologic Society
- Find a Cancer Doctor (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- Find an ENT (American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery)
- National Cancer Institute Also in Spanish
- NCI Designated Cancer Centers (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Organizations That Offer Support Services (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish