Managed care plans are a type of health insurance. They have contracts with health care providers and medical facilities to provide care for members at reduced costs. These providers make up the plan's network. How much of your care the plan will pay for depends on the network's rules.
Plans that restrict your choices usually cost you less. If you want a flexible plan, it will probably cost more. There are three types of managed care plans:
- Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO) usually only pay for care within the network. You choose a primary care doctor who coordinates most of your care.
- Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO) usually pay more if you get care within the network. They still pay part of the cost if you go outside the network.
- Point of Service (POS) plans let you choose between an HMO or a PPO each time you need care.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) Plan (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Also in Spanish
- Managed Care Plans: Getting Good Care for Your Child (American Academy of Pediatrics) Also in Spanish
- Medicare Advantage Plans (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Also in Spanish
- Medicare Special Needs Plan (SNP) (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Also in Spanish
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plans (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Also in Spanish
- Types of Managed Care Plans (American Academy of Pediatrics) Also in Spanish
- Women's Preventive Services Guidelines Affordable Care Act Expands Prevention Coverage for Women's Health and Well-Being (Health Resources and Services Administration)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Patient experience after modifying visit delivery during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Article: Financial Implications of Avapritinib for Treatment of Unresectable Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors...
- Article: The Improved Health Outcomes Program (iHOP): A Unique Model to Promote...
- Managed Care -- see more articles