The SGCB gene provides instructions for making the beta component (subunit) of a group of proteins called the sarcoglycan protein complex. The sarcoglycan protein complex is located in the membrane surrounding muscle cells. It helps maintain the structure of muscle tissue by attaching (binding) to and stabilizing the dystrophin complex, which is made up of proteins called dystrophins and dystroglycans. The large dystrophin complex strengthens muscle fibers and protects them from injury as muscles tense (contract) and relax. It acts as an anchor, connecting each muscle cell's structural framework (cytoskeleton) with the lattice of proteins and other molecules outside the cell (extracellular matrix).
Health Conditions Related to Genetic Changes
Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy
Approximately 50 mutations in the SGCB gene have been identified in people with limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 2E. Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy is a group of related disorders characterized by muscle weakness and wasting, particularly in the shoulders, hips, and limbs.
Some people with limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 2E also develop a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dilated cardiomyopathy is a form of heart disease that enlarges and weakens the heart (cardiac) muscle, preventing it from pumping blood efficiently. Dilated cardiomyopathy progresses rapidly and is life-threatening in many cases.
Forms of limb-girdle muscular dystrophy caused by gene mutations that affect the sarcoglycan complex are called sarcoglycanopathies. SGCB gene mutations may prevent the sarcoglycan complex from forming or from binding to and stabilizing the dystrophin complex. Problems with these complexes reduce the strength and resilience of muscle fibers and result in the signs and symptoms of limb-girdle muscular dystrophy.More About This Health Condition
Other Names for This Gene
- 43 kDa dystrophin-associated glycoprotein
- sarcoglycan, beta (43kDa dystrophin-associated glycoprotein)
Additional Information & Resources
Tests Listed in the Genetic Testing Registry
Scientific Articles on PubMed
Catalog of Genes and Diseases from OMIM
- Broglio L, Tentorio M, Cotelli MS, Mancuso M, Vielmi V, Gregorelli V, Padovani A, Filosto M. Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy-associated protein diseases. Neurologist. 2010 Nov;16(6):340-52. doi: 10.1097/NRL.0b013e3181d35b39. Citation on PubMed
- Fanin M, Angelini C. Defective assembly of sarcoglycan complex in patients with beta-sarcoglycan gene mutations. Study of aneural and innervated cultured myotubes. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2002 Jun;28(3):190-9. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2990.2002.00389.x. Citation on PubMed
- Guglieri M, Magri F, Comi GP. Molecular etiopathogenesis of limb girdle muscular and congenital muscular dystrophies: boundaries and contiguities. Clin Chim Acta. 2005 Nov;361(1-2):54-79. doi: 10.1016/j.cccn.2005.05.020. Citation on PubMed
- Guglieri M, Straub V, Bushby K, Lochmuller H. Limb-girdle muscular dystrophies. Curr Opin Neurol. 2008 Oct;21(5):576-84. doi: 10.1097/WCO.0b013e32830efdc2. Citation on PubMed
- Hack AA, Groh ME, McNally EM. Sarcoglycans in muscular dystrophy. Microsc Res Tech. 2000 Feb 1-15;48(3-4):167-80. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0029(20000201/15)48:3/43.0.CO;2-T. Citation on PubMed
- Meena AK, Sreenivas D, Sundaram C, Rajasekhar R, Sita JS, Borgohain R, Suvarna A, Kaul S. Sarcoglycanopathies: a clinico-pathological study. Neurol India. 2007 Apr-Jun;55(2):117-21. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.32781. Citation on PubMed
- Ozawa E, Mizuno Y, Hagiwara Y, Sasaoka T, Yoshida M. Molecular and cell biology of the sarcoglycan complex. Muscle Nerve. 2005 Nov;32(5):563-76. doi: 10.1002/mus.20349. Citation on PubMed
- Sandona D, Betto R. Sarcoglycanopathies: molecular pathogenesis and therapeutic prospects. Expert Rev Mol Med. 2009 Sep 28;11:e28. doi: 10.1017/S1462399409001203. Citation on PubMed or Free article on PubMed Central
- Straub V, Bushby K. The childhood limb-girdle muscular dystrophies. Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2006 Jun;13(2):104-14. doi: 10.1016/j.spen.2006.06.006. Citation on PubMed
- Trabelsi M, Kavian N, Daoud F, Commere V, Deburgrave N, Beugnet C, Llense S, Barbot JC, Vasson A, Kaplan JC, Leturcq F, Chelly J. Revised spectrum of mutations in sarcoglycanopathies. Eur J Hum Genet. 2008 Jul;16(7):793-803. doi: 10.1038/ejhg.2008.9. Epub 2008 Feb 20. Citation on PubMed