Gaucher disease is a rare, inherited disorder. It is a type of lipid metabolism disorder. If you have it, you do not have enough of an enzyme called glucocerebrosidase. This causes too much of a fatty substance to build up in your spleen, liver, lungs, bones and, sometimes, your brain. This prevents these organs from working properly.
There are three types:
- Type 1, the most common form, causes liver and spleen enlargement, bone pain and fractures (broken bones), and, sometimes, lung and kidney problems. It does not affect the brain. It can occur at any age.
- Type 2, which causes severe brain damage, appears in infants. Most children who have it die by age 2.
- In type 3, there may be liver and spleen enlargement. The brain is gradually affected. It usually starts in childhood or adolescence.
Gaucher disease has no cure. Treatment options for types 1 and 3 include medicine and enzyme replacement therapy, which is usually very effective. There is no good treatment for the brain damage of types 2 and 3.
NIH: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- Gaucher Disease (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) Also in Spanish
- Gaucher Disease in Pregnancy (Organization of Teratology Information Specialists) Also in Spanish
- Learning about Gaucher Disease (National Human Genome Research Institute)
- Lipid Storage Diseases (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke)
- Gaucher disease: MedlinePlus Genetics (National Library of Medicine)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Gaucher Disease (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Potential Binding Sites of Pharmacological Chaperone NCGC00241607 on Mutant β-Glucocerebrosidase and...
- Article: The Spectrum of Neurological and Sensory Abnormalities in Gaucher Disease Patients:...
- Article: Alpha-Synuclein mRNA Level Found Dependent on L444P Variant in Carriers and...
- Gaucher Disease -- see more articles
- Gaucher disease (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish