Depression is a medical condition. If you think you may be depressed, see a health care provider.
The following organizations are good sources of information on depression:
- American Psychiatric Association -- www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/depression/what-is-depression
- American Psychological Association -- www.apa.org/topics/depression/index.aspx
- National Alliance on Mental Illness -- www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Depression
- National Institute of Mental Health -- www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml
- US Dept of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health -- www.womenshealth.gov/mental-health/mental-health-conditions/depression
Resources - depression
Review Date 10/21/2018
Updated by: Jennifer K. Mannheim, ARNP, Medical Staff, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, Seattle Children's Hospital, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.