Depression is a medical condition. If you think you may be depressed, see a health care provider.
The following organizations are good sources of information on depression:
- American Psychiatric Association -- www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/depression/what-is-depression
- National Alliance on Mental Illness -- www.nami.org/About-Mental-Illness/Mental-Health-Conditions/Depression
- National Institute of Mental Health -- www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression
- US Dept of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health -- www.womenshealth.gov/mental-health/mental-health-conditions/depression
- US National Library of Medicine, MedlinePlus -- medlineplus.gov/depression.html
Resources - depression
Review Date 11/12/2022
Updated by: Jennifer K. Mannheim, ARNP, Medical Staff, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, Seattle Children's Hospital, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David C. Dugdale, MD, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.