What is it?
Homeopathic products are extreme dilutions of active ingredients. They are often so diluted that they don't contain any active medicine. The basic principles are "like treats like" and "potentiation through dilution." For example, the flu would be treated with an extreme dilution of a substance that causes flu-like symptoms.
People use oscillococcinum for symptoms of the common cold and flu, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.
Homeopathic products have been permitted for sale in the US since 1938. But homeopathic products are not held to safety and effectiveness standards the way that conventional medicines are.
How effective is it?
There is interest in using oscillococcinum for a number of purposes, but there isn't enough reliable information to say whether it might be helpful.
Is it safe?
Special precautions & warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There isn't enough reliable information to know if oscillococcinum is safe to use when pregnant or breast-feeding. But it is a homeopathic product that contains no active ingredient. Therefore, this product is not expected to cause any beneficial or harmful effects.
Are there interactions with medications?
- It is not known if this product interacts with any medicines.
Before taking this product, talk with your health professional if you take any medications.
Are there interactions with herbs and supplements?
- There are no known interactions with herbs and supplements.
Are there interactions with foods?
- There are no known interactions with foods.
How is it typically used?
To learn more about how this article was written, please see the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database methodology.
- Aouina H, Bamri A, Vesin A, et al. Oscillococcinum(®) for upper respiratory tract infections and exacerbations in COPD: an observational, prospective study (OXITUNIS). Drugs Context 2021;10:2021-4-2. View abstract.
- Mathie RT, Frye J, Fisher P. Homeopathic Oscillococcinum® for preventing and treating influenza and influenza-like illness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Jan 28;1:CD001957. View abstract.
- Chirumbolo S. More on the clinical usefulness of Oscillococcinum. Eur J Intern Med. 2014 Jun;25:e67. View abstract.
- Chirumbolo S. Oscillococcinum®: Misunderstanding or biased interest? Eur J Intern Med. 2014 Mar;25:e35-6. View abstract.
- Azmi Y, Rao M, Verma I, Agrawal A. Oscillococcinum leading to angioedema, a rare adverse event. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 Jun 2;2015. View abstract.
- Rottey, E. E., Verleye, G. B., and Liagre, R. L. The effects of a homeopathic remedy made of micro-organisms in the prevention of flu. A randomised double-blind trial in GP practices [Het effect van een homeopathische bereiding van micro-organismen bij de preventie van griepsymptomen. Een gerandomiseerd dubbel-blind onderzoek in de huisartspraktijk]. Tijdschrift voor Integrale Geneeskunde 1995;11:54-58.
- Nollevaux, M. A. Clinical study of Mucococcinum 200K as a preventative treatment against flu: a double blind trial versus placebo [Klinische studie van Mucococcinum 200K als preventieve behandeling van griepachtige aandoeningen: een dubbelblinde test tegenover placebo]. 1990;
- Casanova, P. Homeopathy, flu syndrome and double blinding [Homeopathie, syndrome grippal et double insu]. Tonus 1984;:26.
- Casanova, P. and Gerard, R. Results of three years of randomised, multicentre studies on Oscillococcinum/placebo [Bilan de 3 annees d'etudes randomisees multicentriques Oscillococcinum/placebo]. 1992;
- Papp, R., Schuback, G., Beck, E., Burkard G., and Lehrl S. Oscillococcinum in patients with influenza-like syndromes: a placebo-controlled double-blind evaluation. British Homoeopathic Journal 1998;87:69-76.
- Vickers, A. and Smith, C. WITHDRAWN: Homoeopathic Oscillococcinum for preventing and treating influenza and influenza-like syndromes. Cochrane.Database.Syst.Rev. 2009;:CD001957. View abstract.
- Vickers, A. J. and Smith, C. Homoeopathic Oscillococcinum for preventing and treating influenza and influenza-like syndromes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;:CD001957. View abstract.
- Mathie RT, Frye J, Fisher P. Homeopathic Oscillococcinum for preventing and treating influenza and influenza-like illness. Cochrane Database Sys Rev 2012;:CD001957. View abstract.
- Guo R, Pittler MH, Ernst E. Complementary medicine for treating or preventing influenza or influenza-like illness. Am J Med 2007;120:923-9. View abstract.
- van der Wouden JC, Bueving HJ, Poole P. Preventing influenza: an overview of systematic reviews. Respir Med 2005;99:1341-9. View abstract.
- Ernst, E. A systematic review of systematic reviews of homeopathy. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2002;54:577-82. View abstract.
- Ferley JP, Zmirou D, D'Adhemar D, et al. A controlled evaluation of a homoeopathic preparation in the treatment of influenza-like syndromes. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1989;27:329-35. View abstract.
- Papp R, Schuback G, Beck E, et al. Oscillococcinum in patients with influenza-like syndromes: a placebo-controlled double-blind evaluation. British Homoeopathic Journal 1998;87:69-76.
- Attena F, Toscano G, Agozzino E, Del Giudice Net al. A randomized trial in the prevention of influenza-like syndromes by homeopathic management. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 1995;43:380-2. View abstract.
- Linde K, Hondras M, Vickers A, et al. Systematic reviews of complementary therapies - an annotated bibliography. Part 3: homeopathy. BMC Complement Altern Med 2001;1:4. View abstract.
- Borneman JP, Field RI. Regulation of homeopathic products. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2006;63:86-91. View abstract.
- Stehlin I. Homeopathy: Real medicine or empty promises? FDA Consumer Magazine. February 25, 1998. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/096_home.html (Accessed 7 June 2006).
- Vickers AJ, Smith C. Homoeopathic Oscillococcinum for preventing and treating influenza and influenza-like syndromes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;:CD001957. View abstract.
- Neinhuys JW. The True Story of Oscillococcinum. HomeoWatch 2003. http://www.homeowatch.org/history/oscillo.html (Accessed 21 April 2004).
- Vickers AJ, Smith C. Homoeopathic Oscillococcinum for preventing and treating influenza and influenza-like syndromes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000;:CD001957. View abstract.
- Jaber R. Respiratory and allergic diseases: from upper respiratory tract infections to asthma. Prim Care 2002;29:231-61. View abstract.