College life involves excitement, along with new challenges, risks, and responsibilities. You are meeting new people, learning new things, and making your own decisions. It can sometimes be stressful. You have to deal with pressures related to food, drink, appearance, drugs, and sexual activity.
There are steps you can take to stay healthy and safe while you're in college:
- Eat a balanced diet
- Get enough sleep
- Get regular physical activity
- Maintain your health with checkups and vaccinations
- If you decide to have sex, practice safe sex
- Make smart choices about alcohol and drugs
- Get help if you are stressed or depressed
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- College Health: Health Services and Common Health Problems (Boston Children's Hospital)
- College Students with ADHD (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
- College Eating and Fitness 101 (Boston Children's Hospital)
- College Health for Young Women (Boston Children's Hospital) Also in Spanish
- College Women's Health (Food and Drug Administration)
- College-Age and Young Adults (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Fall Semester -- A Time for Parents To Discuss the Risks of College Drinking (National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism) Also in Spanish
- Managing Food Allergies at College (Food Allergy Research & Education) - PDF
- Meningococcal Disease: Information for Teens and College Students (American Academy of Pediatrics) Also in Spanish
- Underage Drinking: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
Health Check Tools
- Quiz: How Much do You Know about Taking Good Care of Yourself? (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: College Student Health (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Construction Method of Industrial College in Vocational Colleges Based on Cluster...
- Article: Understanding dual career views of European university athletes: The more than...
- Article: Factors affecting intention to take COVID-19 vaccine among Pakistani University Students.
- College Health -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Also in Spanish
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Also in Spanish
- KidsHealth (Nemours Foundation)