Aspergillosis is a disease caused by a fungus (or mold) called Aspergillus. The fungus is very common in both indoors and outdoors. Most people breathe in the spores of the fungus every day without being affected. But some people get the disease. It usually occurs in people with lung diseases or weakened immune systems.
There are different kinds of aspergillosis. One kind is allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (also called ABPA). Symptoms of ABPA include wheezing and coughing. ABPA can affect healthy people but it is most common in people with asthma or cystic fibrosis.
Another kind is invasive aspergillosis, which damages tissues in the body. It usually affects the lungs. Sometimes it can also cause infection in other organs and spread throughout the body. It affects people who have immune system problems, such as people who have had a transplant, are taking high doses of steroids, or getting chemotherapy for some cancers.
Your doctor might do a variety of tests to make the diagnosis, including a chest x-ray, CT scan of the lungs, and an examination of tissues for signs of the fungus. Treatment is with antifungal drugs. If you have ABPA, you may also take steroids.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Symptoms of Aspergillosis (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Diagnosis and Tests
- Fungal Tests (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
Prevention and Risk Factors
- Risk and Prevention of Aspergillosis (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Treatments and Therapies
- Treatment and Outcomes of Aspergillosis (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Aspergillosis (National Institutes of Health)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Aspergillosis, Allergic Bronchopulmonary (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Evaluation of a commercial quantitative Aspergillus fumigatus-specific IgM assay for...
- Article: Efficacy and safety of micafungin for the treatment of patients...
- Article: Characteristics of culture-positive invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in patients with hematologic...
- Aspergillosis -- see more articles