See, Play and Learn
- No links available
Noroviruses are a group of related viruses. Infection with these viruses causes an illness called gastroenteritis, an inflammation of the stomach and intestines. It can spread from person to person, or through contaminated food or water. You can also get it if you touch a contaminated surface. Norovirus can be serious, especially for young children and older adults.
The most common symptoms of norovirus infection are
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach pain
Other symptoms may include fever, headache or body aches.
Treatment includes bed rest and lots of liquids to prevent dehydration. There is no specific medicine to treat norovirus infections.
Proper hand washing and safe food preparation may help prevent infections.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Norovirus: Food Handlers (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Statistics and Research
- Norovirus: U.S. Trends and Outbreaks (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: The epidemiology of norovirus gastroenteritis in China: disease burden and distribution...
- Article: Fondness for sugars of enteric viruses confronts them with human glycans...
- Article: Production and Clinical Evaluation of Norwalk GI.1 Virus Lot 001-09NV in...
- Norovirus Infections -- see more articles