URL of this page: https://medlineplus.gov/faq/difference.html
Question: What is the difference between MedlinePlus and MEDLINE/PubMed?
- Is a health information Web site for patients, families and other consumers.
- Contains carefully selected links to Web resources with authoritative health information on over 1000 health topics, as well as dictionaries, directories, organizations, and news stories.
- Provides access to medical information via:
- Contains links to preformulated searches of the MEDLINE/PubMed database, allowing you to find references to latest health professional articles on your topic.
- Is a database of professional biomedical literature
- Is a Web-based, searchable database of over 25 million article references published in more than 5600 biomedical journals.
- Can be searched for free
- Includes links to some full-text journal articles via publishers' Web pages.
- Publisher access to articles varies by publisher. Some provide access for free; others charge for articles or require a subscription.
Return to the list of MedlinePlus FAQs