You had surgery to get a new hip or knee joint while you were in the hospital.
Below are some questions you may want to ask your health care provider to help you take care of your new joint.
How long will I need to use crutches or a walker after I go home?
- How much walking can I do?
- When can I begin to place weight on my new joint? How much?
- Do I need to be careful about how I sit or move around?
- What are things that I cannot do?
- Will I be able to walk without pain? How far?
- When will I be able to do other activities, such as golf, swimming, tennis, or hiking?
- Can I use a cane? When?
Will I have pain medicines when I go home? How should I take them?
Will I need to take blood thinners when I go home? How long would it be?
How can I get my home ready before I even go to the hospital?
- How much help will I need when I come home? Will I be able to get out of bed
- How can I make my home safer for me?
- How can I make my home easier to get around?
- How can I make it easier for myself in the bathroom and shower?
- What type of supplies will I need when I get home?
- Do I need to rearrange my home?
- What should I do if there are steps that go to my bedroom or bathroom?
- Do I need a hospital bed?
What are the signs that something is wrong with my new hip or knee? How can I prevent problems with my new hip or knee?
How do I take care of my surgical wound?
- How often should I change the dressing? How do I wash the wound?
- What should my wound look like? What wound problems do I need to watch out for?
- When do sutures and staples come out?
- Can I take a shower? Can I take a bath or soak in the hot tub?
- When can I go back to see my dentist? Do I need to take any antibiotics before seeing the dentist?
What to ask your doctor after hip or knee replacement; Hip replacement - after - what to ask your doctor; Knee replacement - after - what to ask your doctor; Hip arthroplasty - after - what to ask your doctor; Knee arthroplasty - after - what to ask your doctor
Harkness JW, Crockarell JR. In: Canale ST, Beaty JH, eds. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 12th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2012:chap 3.
Mihalko WM. Arthroplasty of the knee. In: Canale ST, Beaty JH, eds. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 12th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2012:chap 7.
Review Date 3/5/2015
Updated by: C. Benjamin Ma, MD, Assistant Professor, Chief, Sports Medicine and Shoulder Service, UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, San Francisco, CA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.