Ill-fitting dentures can move and cause sore spots. Denture adhesive may help cut down on this movement. Dental implants may be recommended in some cases. They should only be placed by a well-trained and certified clinician.
See a dentist if your dentures do not fit correctly. They may need to be adjusted or relined.
Other denture tips:
- Scrub your dentures with plain soap and lukewarm water after eating.
- Take out your dentures overnight to prevent sores, infections, and inflammation.
- Keep your dentures in a denture cleaner overnight.
- Clean, rest, and massage your gums regularly. Rinse daily with lukewarm salt water to help clean your gums.
- DO NOT use toothpicks when wearing dentures.
Carr AB, Brown DT. Initial placement, adjustment, and servicing of the removable partial denture. In: Carr AB, Brown DT, eds. McCracken's Removable Partial Prosthodontics. 13th ed. St. Louis, MO. Elsevier Mosby; 2016:chap 21.
Duyck J, Vandamme K, Muller P, Teughels. Overnight storage of removable dentures in alkaline peroxide-based tablets affects biofilm mass and composition. J Dentistry. 2013:41(12):1281-1289. PMID: 23948391 www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23948391.
Review Date 2/22/2016
Updated by: Michael Kapner, DDS, general and aesthetic dentistry, Norwalk Medical Center, Norwalk, CT. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.