What is it?
Fatty acids in olive oil seem to decrease cholesterol levels and have anti-inflammatory effects. Olive leaf and olive oil might lower blood pressure. Olive might also be able to kill microbes, such as bacteria and fungus.
Olive oil is commonly used in foods. As medicine, people most commonly use olive oil for heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. It is also used for high cholesterol, cancer, memory and thinking skills, migraine, obesity, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support many of these other uses.
How effective is it?
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate.
The effectiveness ratings for OLIVE are as follows:
Possibly effective for...
- Breast cancer. Consuming more olive oil in the diet seems to be linked with a lower risk of developing breast cancer.
- Heart disease. People who cook using olive oil seem to have a lower risk of heart disease and lower risk of first heart attack compared to those who cook with other oils. But it's unclear if higher dietary intake of olive oil helps people who already have heart disease.
- Constipation. Taking olive oil by mouth can help soften stools in people with constipation.
- Diabetes. People who eat higher amounts of olive oil in the diet seem to have a lower risk of developing diabetes. Consuming olive oil also seems to improve blood sugar control in people with diabetes.
- High blood pressure. Adding high amounts of extra virgin olive oil to the diet while taking prescription drugs for high blood pressure can improve blood pressure over 6 months in people with high blood pressure.
Possibly ineffective for...
- Ear infection (otitis media). Applying olive oil drops into the ear does not appear to reduce pain in children with ear infections.
Is it safe?
When applied to the skin: Olive oil is likely safe. Delayed allergic reactions have been reported. When used in the mouth following dental treatment, the mouth may feel more sensitive.
Special precautions & warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Olive oil is commonly consumed in foods. There isn't enough reliable information to know if olive is safe to use as medicine when pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and stick to food amounts.
Are there interactions with medications?
- Medications for high blood pressure (Antihypertensive drugs)
- Olive might lower blood pressure. Taking olive along with medications that lower blood pressure might cause blood pressure to go too low. Monitor your blood pressure closely.
Are there interactions with herbs and supplements?
- Herbs and supplements that might lower blood pressure
- Olive might lower blood pressure. Taking it with other supplements that have the same effect might cause blood pressure to drop too much. Examples of supplements with this effect include andrographis, casein peptides, L-arginine, niacin, and stinging nettle.
Are there interactions with foods?
- There are no known interactions with foods.
How is it typically used?
As medicine, many different olive products have been used, including olive oil, olive leaf extracts, and olive fruit extracts. Speak with a healthcare provider to find out what type of product and dose might be best for a specific condition.
To learn more about how this article was written, please see the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database methodology.
- Tsolaki M, Lazarou E, Kozori M, et al. A Randomized Clinical Trial of Greek High Phenolic Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil in Mild Cognitive Impairment: The MICOIL Pilot Study. J Alzheimers Dis. 2020;78:801-817. View abstract.
- Santos ASEAC, Rodrigues APDS, Rosa LPS, Noll M, Silveira EA. Traditional Brazilian Diet and Olive Oil Reduce Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Severely Obese Individuals: A Randomized Trial. Nutrients. 2020;12:1413. View abstract.
- Patti AM, Carruba G, Cicero AFG, et al. Daily Use of Extra Virgin Olive Oil with High Oleocanthal Concentration Reduced Body Weight, Waist Circumference, Alanine Transaminase, Inflammatory Cytokines and Hepatic Steatosis in Subjects with the Metabolic Syndrome: A 2-Month Intervention Study. Metabolites. 2020;10:392. View abstract.
- Panahi Y, Rastgar N, Zamani A, Sahebkar A. Comparing the Therapeutic Effects of Aloe vera and Olive Oil Combination Cream versus Topical Betamethasone for Atopic Dermatitis: A Randomized Double-blind Clinical Trial. J Pharmacopuncture. 2020;23:173-178. View abstract.
- Miraj S, Pourafzali S, Ahmadabadi ZV, Rafiei Z. Effect of Olive Oil in Preventing the Development of Pressure Ulcer Grade One in Intensive Care Unit Patients. Int J Prev Med. 2020;11:23. View abstract.
- Guasch-Ferré M, Liu G, Li Y, et al. Olive Oil Consumption and Cardiovascular Risk in U.S. Adults. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020;75:1729-1739. View abstract.
- de la Torre R, Carbó M, Pujadas M, et al. Pharmacokinetics of maslinic and oleanolic acids from olive oil - Effects on endothelial function in healthy adults. A randomized, controlled, dose-response study. Food Chem. 2020;322:126676. View abstract.
- Karimi Z, Mousavizadeh A, Rafiei H, et al. The Effect of Using Olive Oil and Fish Oil Prophylactic Dressings on Heel Pressure Injury Development in Critically Ill Patients. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2020 Jan 20;13:59-65. View abstract.
- Kouli GM, Panagiotakos DB, Kyrou I, et al. Olive oil consumption and 10-year (2002-2012) cardiovascular disease incidence: the ATTICA study. Eur J Nutr. 2019;58:131-138. View abstract.
- Du ZS, Li XY, Luo HS, et al. Preoperative administration of olive oil reduces chylothorax after minimally invasive esophagectomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2019;107:1540-1543. View abstract.
- Ghobadi S, Hassanzadeh-Rostami Z, Mohammadian F, et al. Comparison of blood lipid-lowering effects of olive oil and other plant oils: A systematic review and meta-analysis of 27 randomized placebo-controlled clinical trials. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2019;59:2110-2124. View abstract.
- Rezaei S, Akhlaghi M, Sasani MR, Barati Boldaji R. Olive oil lessened fatty liver severity independent of cardiometabolic correction in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A randomized clinical trial. Nutrition. 2019;57:154-161. View abstract.
- Somerville V, Moore R, Braakhuis A. The effect of olive leaf extract on upper respiratory illness in high school athletes: A randomised control trial. Nutrients. 2019;11. pii: E358. View abstract.
- Warrior L, Weber KM, Daubert E, et al. Olive oil intake associated with increased attention scores in women living with HIV: Findings from the Chicago Women's Interagency HIV study. Nutrients. 2019;11. pii: E1759. View abstract.
- Agarwal A, Ioannidis JPA. PREDIMED trial of Mediterranean diet: retracted, republished, still trusted? BMJ. 2019;364:l341. View abstract.
- Rees K1, Takeda A, Martin N, et al. Mediterranean-style diet for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019 Mar 13;3:CD009825. View abstract.
- Temple NJ, Guercio V, Tavani A. The Mediterranean Diet and Cardiovascular Disease: Gaps in the Evidence and Research Challenges. Cardiol Rev. 2019;27:127-130. View abstract.
- Bove A, Bellini M, Battaglia E, et al. Consensus statement AIGO/SICCR diagnosis and treatment of chronic constipation and obstructed defecation (part II: treatment). World J Gastroenterol. 2012;18:4994-5013. View abstract.
- Galvão Cândido F, Xavier Valente F, da Silva LE, et al. Consumption of extra virgin olive oil improves body composition and blood pressure in women with excess body fat: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Eur J Nutr. 2018;57:2445-2455. View abstract.
- FDA completes review of qualified health claim petition for oleic acid and the risk of coronary heart disease. November 2018. Available at: www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/ConstituentUpdates/ucm624758.htm. Accessed January 25, 2019.
- Schwartz SR, Magit AE, Rosenfeld RM, et al. Clinical Practice Guideline (Update): Earwax (Cerumen Impaction). Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;156(1_suppl):S1-S29. View abstract.
- Estruch R, Ros E, Salas-Salvadó J, et al. Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease with a Mediterranean Diet Supplemented with Extra-Virgin Olive Oil or Nuts. N Engl J Med. 2018 J;378:e34. View abstract.
- Akgedik R, Aytekin I, Kurt AB, Eren Dagli C. Recurrent pneumonia due to olive aspiration in a healthy adult: a case report. Clin Respir J. 2016 Nov;10:809-10. View abstract.
- Shaw I. Possible toxicity of olive leaf extract in a dietary supplement. N Z Med J. 2016 Apr 1129:86-7. View abstract.
- Schwingshackl L, Lampousi AM, Portillo MP, Romaguera D, Hoffmann G, Boeing H. Olive oil in the prevention and management of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies and intervention trials. Nutr Diabetes. 2017 Apr 10;7:e262. View abstract.
- Takeda R, Koike T, Taniguchi I, Tanaka K. Double-blind placebo-controlled trial of hydroxytyrosol of Olea europaea on pain in gonarthrosis. Phytomedicine. 2013 Jul 15;20:861-4. View abstract.
- Taavoni S, Soltanipour F, Haghani H, Ansarian H, Kheirkhah M. Effects of olive oil on striae gravidarum in the second trimester of pregnancy. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2011 Aug;17:167-9. View abstract.
- Soltanipoor F, Delaram M, Taavoni S, Haghani H. The effect of olive oil on prevention of striae gravidarum: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Complement Ther Med. 2012 Oct;20:263-6. View abstract.
- Psaltopoulou T, Kosti RI, Haidopoulos D, Dimopoulos M, Panagiotakos DB. Olive oil intake is inversely related to cancer prevalence: a systematic review and a meta-analysis of 13,800 patients and 23,340 controls in 19 observational studies. Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Jul 30;10:127. View abstract.
- Patel PV, Patel A, Kumar S, Holmes JC. Effect of subgingival application of topical ozonated olive oil in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a randomized, controlled, double blind, clinical and microbiological study. Minerva Stomatol. 2012 Sep;61:381-98. View abstract.
- Filip R, Possemiers S, Heyerick A, Pinheiro I, Raszewski G, Davicco MJ, Coxam V. Twelve-month consumption of a polyphenol extract from olive (Olea europaea) in a double blind, randomized trial increases serum total osteocalcin levels and improves serum lipid profiles in postmenopausal women with osteopenia. J Nutr Health Aging. 2015 Jan;19:77-86. View abstract.
- de Bock M, Thorstensen EB, Derraik JG, Henderson HV, Hofman PL, Cutfield WS. Human absorption and metabolism of oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol ingested as olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf extract. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2013 Nov;57:2079-85. View abstract.
- de Bock M, Derraik JG, Brennan CM, Biggs JB, Morgan PE, Hodgkinson SC, Hofman PL, Cutfield WS. Olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf polyphenols improve insulin sensitivity in middle-aged overweight men: a randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trial. PLoS One. 2013;8:e57622. View abstract.
- Castro M, Romero C, de Castro A, Vargas J, Medina E, Millán R, Brenes M. Assessment of Helicobacter pylori eradication by virgin olive oil. Helicobacter. 2012 Aug;17:305-11. View abstract.
- Buckland G, Mayén AL, Agudo A, Travier N, Navarro C, Huerta JM, Chirlaque MD, Barricarte A, Ardanaz E, Moreno-Iribas C, Marin P, Quirós JR, Redondo ML, Amiano P, Dorronsoro M, Arriola L, Molina E, Sanchez MJ, Gonzalez CA. Olive oil intake and mortality within the Spanish population (EPIC-Spain). Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Jul;96:142-9. View abstract.
- Rogers, S., James, K. S., Butland, B. K., Etherington, M. D., O'Brien, J. R., and Jones, J. G. Effects of a fish oil supplement on serum lipids, blood pressure, bleeding time, haemostatic and rheological variables. A double blind randomised controlled trial in healthy volunteers. Atherosclerosis 1987;63(2-3):137-143. View abstract.
- Donnelly, S. M., Ali, M. A., and Churchill, D. N. Effect of n-3 fatty acids from fish oil on hemostasis, blood pressure, and lipid profile of dialysis patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 1992;2:1634-1639. View abstract.
- Lee-Huang, S., Zhang, L., Huang, P. L., Chang, Y. T., and Huang, P. L. Anti-HIV activity of olive leaf extract (OLE) and modulation of host cell gene expression by HIV-1 infection and OLE treatment. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 8-8-2003;307:1029-1037. View abstract.
- Markin, D., Duek, L., and Berdicevsky, I. In vitro antimicrobial activity of olive leaves. Mycoses 2003;46(3-4):132-136. View abstract.
- O'Brien, N. M., Carpenter, R., O'Callaghan, Y. C., O'Grady, M. N., and Kerry, J. P. Modulatory effects of resveratrol, citroflavan-3-ol, and plant-derived extracts on oxidative stress in U937 cells. J Med Food 2006;9:187-195. View abstract.
- Al Waili, N. S. Topical application of natural honey, beeswax and olive oil mixture for atopic dermatitis or psoriasis: partially controlled, single-blinded study. Complement Ther.Med. 2003;11:226-234. View abstract.
- Al Waili, N. S. An alternative treatment for pityriasis versicolor, tinea cruris, tinea corporis and tinea faciei with topical application of honey, olive oil and beeswax mixture: an open pilot study. Complement Ther.Med. 2004;12:45-47. View abstract.
- Bosetti, C., Negri, E., Franceschi, S., Talamini, R., Montella, M., Conti, E., Lagiou, P., Parazzini, F., and La Vecchia, C. Olive oil, seed oils and other added fats in relation to ovarian cancer (Italy). Cancer Causes Control 2002;13:465-470. View abstract.
- Braga, C., La Vecchia, C., Franceschi, S., Negri, E., Parpinel, M., Decarli, A., Giacosa, A., and Trichopoulos, D. Olive oil, other seasoning fats, and the risk of colorectal carcinoma. Cancer 2-1-1998;82:448-453. View abstract.
- Linos, A., Kaklamanis, E., Kontomerkos, A., Koumantaki, Y., Gazi, S., Vaiopoulos, G., Tsokos, G. C., and Kaklamanis, P. The effect of olive oil and fish consumption on rheumatoid arthritis--a case control study. Scand.J.Rheumatol. 1991;20:419-426. View abstract.
- Nagyova, A., Haban, P., Klvanova, J., and Kadrabova, J. Effects of dietary extra virgin olive oil on serum lipid resistance to oxidation and fatty acid composition in elderly lipidemic patients. Bratisl.Lek.Listy 2003;104(7-8):218-221. View abstract.
- Petroni, A., Blasevich, M., Salami, M., Papini, N., Montedoro, G. F., and Galli, C. Inhibition of platelet aggregation and eicosanoid production by phenolic components of olive oil. Thromb.Res. 4-15-1995;78:151-160. View abstract.
- Williams, C. M. Beneficial nutritional properties of olive oil: implications for postprandial lipoproteins and factor VII. Nutr.Metab Cardiovasc.Dis. 2001;11(4 Suppl):51-56. View abstract.
- Estruch R, Ros E, Salas-Salvado J, et al. Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet. N Engl J Med 2013. [RETRACTED]. View abstract.
- Bitler CM, Matt K, Irving M, et al. Olive extract supplement decreases pain and improves daily activities in adults with osteoarthritis and decreases plasma homocysteine in those with rheumatoid arthritis. Nutri Res 2007;27:470-7.
- Aguila MB, Sa Silva SP, Pinheiro AR, Mandarim-de-Lacerda CA. Effects of long-term intake of edible oils on hypertension and myocardial and aortic remodelling in spontaneously hypertensive rats. J Hypertens 2004;22:921-9. View abstract.
- Aguila MB, Pinheiro AR, Mandarim-de-Lacerda CA. Spontaneously hypertensive rats left ventricular cardiomyocyte loss attenuation through different edible oils long-term intake. Int J Cardiol 2005;100:461-6. View abstract.
- Beauchamp GK, Keast RS, Morel D, et al. Phytochemistry: ibuprofen-like activity in extra-virgin olive oil. Nature 2005;437:45-6. View abstract.
- Brackett RE. Letter Responding to Health Claim Petition dated August 28, 2003: Monounsaturated Fatty Acids from Olive Oil and Coronary Heart Disease. CFSAN/Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling and Dietary Supplements. 2004 Nov 1; Docket No 2003Q-0559. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/04/nov04/110404/03q-0559-ans0001-01-vol9.pdf.
- Togna GI, Togna AR, Franconi M, et al. Olive oil isochromans inhibit human platelet reactivity. J Nutr 2003;133:2532-6.. View abstract.
- Secondary Direct Food Additives Permitted in Food for Human Consumption. Safe use of ozone when used as a gas or dissolved in water as an antimicrobial agent on food, including meat and poultry. Federal Register 66 http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/Dockets/98fr/062601a.htm (Accessed 26 June 2001).
- Madigan C, Ryan M, Owens D, et al. Dietary unsaturated fatty acids in type 2 diabetes: higher levels of postprandial lipoprotein on a linoleic acid-rich sunflower oil diet compared with an oleic acid-rich olive oil diet. Diabetes Care 2000;23:1472-7. View abstract.
- Fernandez-Jarne E, Martinez-Losa E, Prado-Santamaria M, et al. Risk of first non-fatal myocardial infarction negatively associated with olive oil consumption: a case-control study in Spain. Int J Epidemiol 2002;31:474-80. View abstract.
- Ferrara LA, Raimondi AS, d'Episcopo L, et al. Olive oil and reduced need for antihypertensive medications. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:837-42. View abstract.
- Linos A, Kaklamani VG, Kaklamani E, et al. Dietary factors in relation to rheumatoid arthritis: a role for olive oil and cooked vegetables? Am J Clin Nutr 1999;70:1077-82. View abstract.
- Stoneham M, Goldacre M, Seagroatt V, Gill L. Olive oil, diet and colorectal cancer: an ecological study and a hypothesis. J Epidemiol Community Health 2000;54:756-60. View abstract.
- Ruiz-Gutierrez V, Muriana FJ, Guerrero A, et al. Plasma lipids, erythrocyte membrane lipids and blood pressure of hypertensive women after ingestion of dietary oleic acid from two different sources. J Hypertens 1996;14:1483-90. View abstract.
- Zambon A, Sartore G, Passera D, et al. Effects of hypocaloric dietary treatment enriched in oleic acid on LDL and HDL subclass distribution in mildly obese women. J Intern Med 1999;246:191-201. View abstract.
- Mata P, Alvarez-Sala LA, Rubio MJ, et al. Effects of long-term monounsaturated- vs polyunsaturated-enriched diets on lipoproteins in healthy men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 1992;55:846-50. View abstract.
- Bisignano G, Tomaino A, Lo Cascio R, et al. On the in-vitro antimicrobial activity of oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol. J Pharm Pharmacol 1999;51:971-4. View abstract.
- Hoberman A, Paradise JL, Reynolds EA, et al. Efficacy of Auralgan for treating ear pain in children with acute otitis media. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 1997;151:675-8. View abstract.
- Isaksson M, Bruze M. Occupational allergic contact dermatitis from olive oil in a masseur. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999;41:312-5. View abstract.
- The IOOC's Trade Standard Applying to Olive Oil and Olive Pomace Oil. Available at: sovrana.com/ioocdef.htm (Accessed 23 June 2004).
- Katan MB, Zock PL, Mensink RP. Dietary oils, serum lipoproteins, and coronary heart disease. Am J Clin Nutr 1995;61:1368S-73S. View abstract.
- Trichopoulou A, Katsouyanni K, Stuver S, et al. Consumption of olive oil and specific food groups in relation to breast cancer risk in Greece. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995;87:110-6. View abstract.
- la Vecchia C, Negri E, Franceschi S, et al. Olive oil, other dietary fats, and the risk of breast cancer (Italy). Cancer Causes Control 1995;6:545-50. View abstract.
- Martin-Moreno JM, Willett WC, Gorgojo L, et al. Dietary fat, olive oil intake and breast cancer risk. Int J Cancer 1994;58:774-80. View abstract.
- Keys A, Menotti A, Karvonen MJ , et al. The diet and 15-year death rate in the seven countries study. Am J Epidemiol 1986;124:903-15. View abstract.
- Trevisan M, Krogh V, Freudenheim J, et al. Consumption of olive oil, butter, and vegetable oils and coronary heart disease risk factors. The Research Group ATS-RF2 of the Italian National Research Council. JAMA 1990;263:688-92. View abstract.
- Liccardi G, D'Amato M, D'Amato G. Oleaceae pollinosis: a review. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 1996;111:210-7. View abstract.
- Aziz NH, Farag SE, Mousa LA, et al. Comparative antibacterial and antifungal effects of some phenolic compounds. Microbios 1998;93:43-54. View abstract.
- Cherif S, Rahal N, Haouala M, et al. [A clinical trial of a titrated Olea extract in the treatment of essential arterial hypertension]. J Pharm Belg 1996;51:69-71. View abstract.
- van Joost T, Smitt JH, van Ketel WG. Sensitization to olive oil (olea europeae). Contact Dermatitis 1981;7:309-10.
- Bruneton J. Pharmacognosy, Phytochemistry, Medicinal Plants. Paris: Lavoisier Publishing, 1995.
- Gennaro A. Remington: The Science and Practice of Pharmacy. 19th ed. Lippincott: Williams & Wilkins, 1996.