Why is this medication prescribed?
Dipyridamole is used with other drugs to reduce the risk of blood clots after heart valve replacement. It works by preventing excessive blood clotting.
How should this medicine be used?
Dipyridamole comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken 4 times a day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take dipyridamole exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Continue to take dipyridamole even if you feel well. Do not stop taking dipyridamole without talking to your doctor.
Other uses for this medicine
Dipyridamole is also used with aspirin to reduce the risk of death after a heart attack and to prevent another heart attack. Talk to your doctor about the possible risks of using this medication for your condition.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking dipyridamole,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to dipyridamole or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially aspirin and vitamins.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had low blood pressure.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking dipyridamole, call your doctor.
- talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking dipyridamole if you are 65 years of age or older. Older adults should not usually take dipyridamole because it is not as safe or effective as other medications that can be used to treat the same condition.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking dipyridamole.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Dipyridamole may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- stomach pain
- flushing (feeling of warmth)
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- chest pain
If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online (http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch) or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
In case of emergency/overdose
In case of overdose, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services at 911.
What other information should I know?
Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.
¶ This branded product is no longer on the market. Generic alternatives may be available.