Why is this medication prescribed?
Ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic is used to treat outer ear infections in adults and children and acute (suddenly occurring) middle ear infections in children with ear tubes. Ciprofloxacin is in a class of medications called quinolone antibiotics. Dexamethasone is in a class of medications called corticosteroids. The combination of ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone works by killing the bacteria that cause infection and reducing swelling in the ear.
How should this medicine be used?
Ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic comes as a suspension (liquid) to place into the ear. It is usually used twice a day, in the morning and evening, for 7 days. Use ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic at around the same times every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic is only for use in the ears. Do not use in the eyes.
You should begin to feel better during the first few days of treatment with ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic. If your symptoms do not improve after one week or get worse, call your doctor.
Use ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic until you finish the prescription, even if you feel better. If you stop using ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic too soon or skip doses, your infection may not be completely treated and the bacteria may become resistant to antibiotics.
To use the eardrops, follow these steps:
- Hold the bottle in your hand for one or two minutes to warm the solution.
- Shake the bottle well.
- Lie down with the affected ear upward.
- Place the prescribed number of drops into your ear.
- Be careful not to touch the tip to your ear, fingers, or any other surface.
- For middle ear infections, push the tragus (small flap of cartilage just in front of the ear canal near the face) of the ear inward four times so that the drops will enter the middle ear.
- Remain lying down with the affected ear upward for 60 seconds.
- Repeat steps 1-7 for the opposite ear if necessary.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before using ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to ciprofloxacin (Cipro), dexamethasone (Decadron), cinoxacin (Cinobac) (not available in the U.S.), enoxacin (Penetrex) (not available in the U.S.), gatifloxacin (Tequin) (not available in the U.S.), gemifloxacin (Factive), levofloxacin (Levaquin), lomefloxacin (Maxaquin), moxifloxacin (Avelox), nalidixic acid (NegGram), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxin), sparfloxacin (Zagam) (not available in the U.S.), trovafloxacin and alatrofloxacin combination (Trovan) (not available in the U.S.), or any other medications.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while using ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic, call your doctor.
- you should know that you must keep your infected ear(s) clean and dry while using ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic. Avoid getting the infected ear(s) wet while bathing, and avoid swimming unless your doctor has told you otherwise.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your normal diet.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not use extra eardrops to make up for a missed dose.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if this symptom is severe or does not go away:
- ear discomfort, pain, or itching
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop using ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic and call your doctor immediately:
- swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- difficulty swallowing or breathing
Ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Do not freeze and protect from light.
Unneeded medications should be disposed of in special ways to ensure that pets, children, and other people cannot consume them. However, you should not flush this medication down the toilet. Instead, the best way to dispose of your medication is through a medicine take-back program. Talk to your pharmacist or contact your local garbage/recycling department to learn about take-back programs in your community. See the FDA's Safe Disposal of Medicines website (http://goo.gl/c4Rm4p) for more information if you do not have access to a take-back program.
In case of emergency/overdose
If someone swallows ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone otic, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services at 911.
What other information should I know?
Keep all appointments with your doctor.
Do not let anyone else use your medication. Your prescription is probably not refillable.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.
Brand names of combination products
- Ciprodex® (containing Ciprofloxacin, Dexamethasone)