On this page
See, Play and Learn
- No links available
Chiropractic is a health care profession. Chiropractors perform adjustments (manipulations) to the spine or other parts of the body. The goal is to correct alignment problems, ease pain, and support the body's natural ability to heal itself. They may also use other treatments including :
- Heat and ice
- Electrical stimulation
- Relaxation techniques
- Rehabilitative and general exercise
- Counseling about diet, weight loss, and other lifestyle factors
- Dietary supplements
Many people visit chiropractors for treatment of low back pain, neck pain, and headaches.
NIH: National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
- Chiropractic Adjustment (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Chiropractic: In Depth (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
- What Is Chiropractic? (American Chiropractic Association)
- 6 Things to Know When Selecting a Complementary Health Practitioner (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health) Also in Spanish
- Chiropractors (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Credentialing, Licensing, and Education (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Chiropractic (American Chiropractic Association)
- Maintaining Good Posture (American Chiropractic Association)
- Spinal Manipulation: What You Need To Know (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
Statistics and Research
- American Adults' and Children's Use of Yoga, Mediation, and Chiropractors: National Health Interview Survey 2017 (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Chiropractic Therapy (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Ten years of online incident reporting and learning using CPiRLS: implications...
- Article: Multimorbidity in patients with low back pain in Danish chiropractic practice:...
- Article: Mechanisms of chiropractic spinal manipulative therapy for patients with chronic primary...
- Chiropractic -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Chiropractic care for back pain (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish