Behcet's syndrome is a disease that involves vasculitis, which is inflammation of the blood vessels. It causes problems in many parts of the body. The most common symptoms are:
- Sores in the mouth
- Sores on the sex organs
- Other skin sores
- Swelling of parts of the eye
- Pain, swelling and stiffness of the joints
More serious problems can include meningitis, blood clots, inflammation of the digestive system and blindness.
Doctors aren't sure what causes Behcet's. It is rare in the United States, but is common in the Middle East and Asia. It mainly affects people in their 20s and 30s. Diagnosing Behcet's can take a long time, because symptoms may come and go, and it may take months or even years to have all of the symptoms. There is no cure. Treatment focuses on reducing pain and preventing serious problems. Most people can control symptoms with treatment.
NIH: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- Behcet Disease (Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center) Also in Spanish
- Behcet Syndrome (National Cancer Institute)
- Behcet's Disease (Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center)
- Behcet's Disease (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Behcet's Disease (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke)
- Dilating Eye Drops (American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus)
- Methotrexate (Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center)
- Prednisone (Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center)
- Research Provides More Insight into Genetic Basis of Behcet's Disease (National Human Genome Research Institute)
- Uveitis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Behçet disease: MedlinePlus Genetics (National Library of Medicine)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Behcet Syndrome (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Behçet's Disease: A Comprehensive Review on the Role of HLA-B*51, Antigen...
- Article: Gastrointestinal dysmotility complicating Behçet's syndrome: description of a newly recognised clinical...
- Article: How to recognise a Behçet's ulcer from other types of oral...
- Behcet's Syndrome -- see more articles