Air pollution is a mixture of solid particles and gases in the air. Car emissions, chemicals from factories, dust, pollen and mold spores may be suspended as particles. Ozone, a gas, is a major part of air pollution in cities. When ozone forms air pollution, it's also called smog.
Some air pollutants are poisonous. Inhaling them can increase the chance you'll have health problems. People with heart or lung disease, older adults and children are at greater risk from air pollution. Air pollution isn't just outside - the air inside buildings can also be polluted and affect your health.
Environmental Protection Agency
- Air Pollution and Your Health (National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences)
- Air Quality (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Also in Spanish
- Air Quality Index (AQI) Basics (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Clean Air Outdoors (American Lung Association)
- Hazardous Air Pollutants (Environmental Protection Agency)
- AirNow: Local Air Quality Conditions and Forecasts (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Disparities in the Impact of Air Pollution (American Lung Association)
- Protect Yourself: Respirators (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) - PDF
- Risk Assessment for Toxic Air Pollutants: A Citizen's Guide (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Acid Rain (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Particle Pollution (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Particulate Matter (PM) Pollution (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Transportation, Air Pollution, and Climate Change (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Volcanic Gases Can Be Harmful to Health, Vegetation, and Infrastructure (U.S. Geological Survey)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Air Pollution (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Urban air pollution and emergency department visits related to central nervous...
- Article: Portable HEPA Filter Air Cleaner Use during Pregnancy and Children's Cognitive...
- Article: Household Air Pollution Concentrations after Liquefied Petroleum Gas Interventions in Rural...
- Air Pollution -- see more articles