Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 15
- 2 cans (15 ounces) black-eyed peas or black beans (try a mix, or other types)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (canned and drained, frozen, or fresh cooked)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions (5 green onions)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Drain and rinse the black-eyed peas (or black beans) and corn.
- Finely chop the cilantro and green onions.
- Dice the tomatoes and avocado.
- Combine all veggies in a large bowl.
- Mix oil, vinegar or lime juice, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Pour oil mixture over salad ingredients and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Use as a filling for tacos, burritos or wraps, on a burger, over a baked potato, or as a snack with tortilla chips.
- Try adding other vegetables such as sweet or hot peppers, cucumber or zucchini.
- Freeze extra lime juice to use later.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.