A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
Fresh or cooked fruits make a great low-calorie dessert.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 piece lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp rum or vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 pineapple, cored and peeled, cut into 8 slices
- 2 mangos, peeled and pitted, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 bananas, peeled, cut into 8 diagonal pieces
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- In a saucepan combine 3/4 cup of water with the sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel (and rum or vanilla extract if desired). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and add the fruit. Cook at a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup into a cup and set aside. Remove the lemon peel and cool the cooked fruit for 2 hours.
- To serve the compote, arrange the fruit in a serving dish and pour a few teaspoons of syrup over the fruit. Garnish with mint leaves (if desired).