A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Spice is nice, especially on a chilly night!
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, rinsed and diced
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 oz) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 oz) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 oz) low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14 and 1/2 oz each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- In an 8-quart soup or pasta pot, heat the oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion. Cook and stir until onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and green pepper. Cook and stir another 5 minutes, until all vegetables soften.
- Add drained and rinsed beans to pot.
- Stir in tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10-20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve immediately.