A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
This delightful chilled salad works as an entree or a side dish.
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander (dried cilantro seeds)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 medium scallions, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups tomato, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 fresh green chilis (or to taste), minced
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Boil water in a saucepan, then add the quinoa. Return to boil, then simmer until the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, mix olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, chopped cilantro, and scallions in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Combine chopped vegetables with the black beans in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Once quinoa has cooled, combine all ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.