Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup orzo or tiny pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 °F in an electric skillet). Add onion and garlic and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in water, diced tomatoes with juice, lentils, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low (250 °F in an electric skillet). Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve topped with light sour cream or plain non-fat yogurt.