Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 12
- 3 1/2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped (8 to 9 medium apples)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer. Cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Use a potato masher or fork to mash mixture to the consistency you want. Serve warm or cold.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- When frozen or fresh cranberries are not available, substitute canned cranberry sauce for the cranberries and brown sugar. Add 1 can (14 ounces) of cranberry sauce to the saucepan after the mixture has been simmering for about 15 minutes.
- For a smooth texture, puree in batches in a regular blender, using the manufacturer's directions for pureeing hot liquids.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.