Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 7
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned or quick-cooking)
- 1/4 cup skim or 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pound lean ground meat (any type, 15% fat or less)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 425 °F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients except ground meat.
- Add the ground meat and mix in evenly.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into 21 (about 2-inch) meatballs. Arrange the meatballs on the baking sheet with space between each one. Bake in 2 batches or on 2 baking sheets if needed. Wash hands with soap and water after touching raw meat and eggs.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through (165 °F with a food thermometer) and the outsides are browned.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try other seasonings such as Italian seasoning or use soy sauce instead of salt.
- No carrot? Use chopped frozen spinach or grated zucchini instead.
- Enjoy with a pasta sauce, in a veggie stew or in a stir-fry.
- Use lactose-free or a plant-based milk if desired.